The BEST Chocolate Cake Recipes
A good chocolate cake recipe in your collection is a must-have. Simple, moist, and indulgent this is one recipe that perfect for everyone. Try this moist chocolate cake and you will always come back to it no matter how many other cakes you try.
As a cake decorator, I have been using this cake for many years and it has been loved by almost everyone that has tasted this cake. I hope you will find this useful too.
The recipe card below has conversion and yet I have made this table so you can print it and have it handy when you need to make tiered cakes.
|AP Flour||128 g (1 C)||250 g||500 g||1 kg|
|Cocoa P||25 g (1/4 C)||50 g||100 g||200 g|
|Baking P||1/2 tsp||3/4 tsp||1 tsp||2 tsp|
|Baking Soda||1/4 tsp||1/2 tsp||3/4 tsp||1 1/2 tsp|
|Cream of Tartar||1/8 tsp||1/4 tsp||1/2 tsp||3/4 tsp|
|Salt||1/8 tsp||1/4 tsp||1/2 tsp||1 tsp|
|Butter||60 g (1 stick||113 g||228 g||440 g|
|Sugar||150 g (3/4 C)||250 g||450 g||800 g|
|Vanilla||1 tsp||2 tsp||4 tsp||6 tsp|
|Buttermilk||30 ml (1/4 C)||60 ml||120 ml||240 ml|
|Water||30 ml (1/4 C)||60 ml||120 ml||240 ml|
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 250 grams Butter unsalted
- 250 grams Sugar white
- 260 grams All-purpose flour
- 50 grams Cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 7 Eggs separated
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 60 ml Water
- 60 ml Buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar or salt
Conversions – Please switch between Metric & US for more measurement options
- Preheat the oven at 160 C / 340 F
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In the mixer bowl with paddle attachment
- Combine melted butter, egg yolks, and remaining sugar
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Then add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and water
- Combine until no lumps are seen
In a mixer bowl with whisk attachment
- Whip the egg with a pinch of salt for 30 seconds
- Then gradually half the sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks.
Combine the two
- Lastly, fold in the whipped egg whites into the batter
- Make sure to fold gently and not over mix
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pans
- Bake on the center rack until a skewer inserted in the center comes clean.
- Baking time guide – above in the chart.
- When baked leave in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a baking rack and cool completely before decorating.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you