Classic Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
A chocolate sponge cake is a must-have recipe on hand for any cake decorator. This simple and easy recipe works a treat as a tea time snack and can be used for celebration cakes. Perfect for a sculpted cake, and even works a treat to be served as a wedding cake.
This is a basic chocolate cake recipe below. You can use any buttercream frosting that works for your project. You can find over 30 buttercream recipes from me on my blog Veena Azmanov
- A 7-inch loose bottom cake pan or 8-inch round cake pan
- Parchment Paper
- Greaseproof Paper
- Stand mixer or Hand Mixer
- Chopping board and Kitchen Knife
Save this recipe on Pinterest – Follow Me on Pinterest
Pin this recipe on Pinterest You can find more tutorials and recipes to Pin here on this board. Remember to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook.
Join our Facebook group to see more tutorials, recipes, and chats.
Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
- 228 grams Unsalted Butter
- 250 grams White sugar
- 227 grams All-Purpose Flour
- 50 grams Cocoa Powder (Dutch Processed)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 120 ml Milk Whole
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Conversions - Please switch between Metric & US for more measurement options
- Grease and line with parchment paper two baking pans.
- Preheat oven at 160 C/ 320 F
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder - set aside
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time, making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Next, add the flour mixture and milk - in three batches. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed
- Finally, add the vanilla - combine well
- Pour into prepared baking pans
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes - checking at about 25 minutes the first time.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then on a white rack completely
- Always cool cakes completely before decorating with frosting.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you