Chocolate Sponge Cake
A chocolate sponge cake is a must-have recipe on hand for any cake decorator. This simple and easy recipe works a treat as a tea time snack and can be used for celebration cakes. Perfect for a sculpted cake, and even works a treat to be served as a wedding cake.
Useful Tips and Tools
- If you bake often, it would be a good idea to invest in a cake mixer. Because often we try to mix by hand and then we are too tired to give it enough creaming or mixing. So, if you are making this cake go ahead and remove that K-Mix or Kitchen Aid from your kitchen cabinet. You don’t have to buy an expensive stand mixer, a simple hand mixer works great too.
- Personally, I believe in measuring ingredients by weight, which makes my kitchen scale one of the most valuable items when baking.
- And the same goes for my measuring cups and measuring spoons. It’s always a good idea to have these handy and use them when baking rather than trying to guess measurements.
- Also, I think one set of baking pans is a must for anyone a home baker. I often use 3 x 6-inch round cakes which I often split into 4 layers for a tall display. Some times, I use 3 x 8-inch round pans or 3 x 7-inch cakes
- Once baked, always invert your cakes on a cooling rack. This enables air circulation and prevents the steam from pooling at the bottom of the pan.
- Lastly, every oven works differently. So the baking times are just guidelines. In the case of cakes, a skewer inserted in the center is a great indication. If the cake bakes too fast or too slow compared to the time given, it might be a good idea to check if your oven needs calibration. An oven thermometer is a great little gadget to help keep the oven temperature in check. All you need to do then is adjust the temperature accordingly.
Save this on Pinterest for later.
You can find more of my cakes, recipes, tutorials, tips, and resources here on Pinterest. Of course, don’t forget to follow me – Veena Azmanov on Pinterest so you can see what I save, pin and follow as well.
- 250 grams (1.1 cups) Butter unsalted
- 250 grams (1.25 cups) Sugar white
- 260 grams (2.08 cups) All-purpose flour
- 50 grams (0.58 cups) Cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp (3/4 tsp) Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) Baking soda
- 7 (7 ) Eggs separated
- 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp) Salt
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) Vanilla extract
- 60 ml (0.25 cups) Water
- 60 ml (0.25 cups) Buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp ) Cream of tartar or salt
- Preheat the oven at 160 C / 340 F
- Grease and line 2 x 6-inch baking pans
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In the mixer bowl with paddle attachment
- Combine melted butter, egg yolks, and remaining sugar
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Then add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and water
- Combine until no lumps are seen
In a mixer bowl with whisk attachment
- Whip the egg with a pinch of salt for 30 seconds
- Then gradually half the sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks.
Combine the two
- Lastly, fold in the whipped egg whites into the batter
- Make sure to fold gently and not over mix
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pans
- Bake on the center rack in a preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes clean.
- When baked leave in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a baking rack and cool completely before decorating.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Sometimes a similar recipe video may be used. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
- Best Chocolate Fudge Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe with Buttercream and Ganache
- Espresso Cake with Whipped Espresso Ganache
- One Bowl Chocolate Cake – Naked Cake
- Simple Moist Chocolate Cake with American Buttercream
- Chocolate Ganache Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Kahlua Chocolate Buttercream
- Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- Best Chocolate Mud Cake with Caramel Buttercream
- Chocolate cake perfect for Tiered Cakes
- Chocolate Sponge Cake
- Eggless Chocolate Cake
- Classic Chocolate Pound Cake
- Diabetic Chocolate Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Basic Chocolate and Vanilla Cake from scratch
- Chocolate Cake Perfect for Carving
- Tips for Baking a Cake from Scratch