Coffee cake is a type of cake that can be served either as a dessert or as a breakfast treat. Moistened with coffee syrup just after baking this has a rich coffee flavor you won't be able to stop at one slice.
The fragrance of coffee in a moist, light, and fluffy cake is one that's bound to get you baking. A simple and easy recipe that takes no more than 10 minutes to combine.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Flour - I like to use cake flour but all-purpose flour (maida) works just as well.
- Butter - I prefer to use unsalted butter so I can control the quantity of sugar in my recipe. And yet, if salted butter is all you have go ahead and use it. Just omit salt in the recipe.
- Brown sugar - The molasses in the brown sugar contributes to the soft texture and color of the cake. You can also add dark brown sugar, and yet the cake will get a deeper color.
- Eggs - Always use large-size eggs when baking unless specified. The size of eggs varies significantly these days, so as a guide, a large egg weighs between 50 to 60 grams.
- Vanilla - A good quality vanilla will make a huge difference in anything you make. Premium vanilla can be expensive, which is why I make my own homemade vanilla extract, bean paste, or sugar.
- ¾ cup (170 g) Unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup (165 g) Dark brown sugar
- 2 cups (250 g) Cake flour
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Instant coffee powder
- ½ cup Hot milk
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Coffee extract optional
- 10 Chopped almonds Optional
- 2 large Dates finely chopped - Optional
Coffee syrup (optional)
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Coffee
- 1 cup Water
- Oven/Pans - Preheat the oven to 325°F / 165°C / Gas Mark 3. Grease and line a 9 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Coffee syrup - In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the sugar, water, and coffee until all the sugar is melted. Set aside to cool completely.
- Coffee - Combine the hot milk with instant coffee and set aside to cool completely
- Dry ingredients - Sift together flour, baking powder, salt
- Cake Batter - In a bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Followed by the flour mixture and cooled coffee. Finally, add the vanilla and coffee extract.
- Bake - Pour into prepared baking pans and bake in the preheated oven on the middle rack for 30 to 35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Syrup - Pour the coffee syrup all over the cake while it is still hot.
- Cool - When baked remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then on a wire rack until completely cooled.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Sometimes a similar recipe video may be used. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
I'd love to hear your thoughts, please comment.