How Much Fondant Do I need For My Cake?
Cake Decorating is fun when you have everything sorted out in advance including much cake and frosting you need as well as how much fondant you need for your cake? Here is a guide based on the shape, size, and height of the cake. Make sure to bookmark this page for future reference.
This is the most common question I get asked often. It can be quite frustrating to run out of fondant just at the end of your project.
If you have made a custom color then it is almost impossible to make the exact same shade again. So, my word of advice is, always make a little more than you think you need. It's better to error on the side of a little more than less.
This chart is an approximate guide on how much fondant you need when rolling fondant about ⅜ -inch to ¼-inch thick or 3 mm to 5 mm. Of course, everyone will roll differently so you may end up with some to spare. If you find you are using more than the amount in the chart below is.
Of course, this is a generous guide. If I used this guide I would this amount of fondant to cover my cake as well as have some for decoration. Again, this is a good guide but not the exact amount.
So, how much fondant do I need to cover.....
|4-in / 10 cm||400 g /14 oz||460 g / 16 oz||520 g / 18 oz|
|6-in / 12 cm||500 g /18 oz||610 g/ 21 oz||690 g/ 24 oz|
|8-in / 20 cm||700 g/ 24 oz||760 g/ 26 oz||720 g/ 25 oz|
|10-in / 25 cm||1 kg / 36 oz||1.1 kg/ 38 oz||1.2 kg/ 42 oz|
|12-in / 30 cm||1.4 kg / 49 oz||1.5 kg / 52 oz||1.6 kg / 56 oz|
|14-in /35 cm||2 kg / 70 oz||2.1 Kg / 72 oz||2.1 kg / 74 oz|
|16-in / 40 cm||3 kg / 105 oz||3.1kg / 109 oz||3.1 kg / 109 oz|
|18-in / 45 cm||4 kg / 141 oz||4.1 kg / 144 oz||4.2 kg / 148 oz|
|5-in/ 12 cm||500 g / 17 oz||600 g / 21 oz|
|6-in / 15 cm||600 g/ 21 oz||700 g/ 24 oz|
|8-in/ 20cm||1 kg /35 oz||1.2 kg / 42 oz|
|9-in / 22 cm||1.2 kg / 42 oz||1.4 kg / 49 oz|
|10-in / 25 cm||1.4 kg / 49 oz||1.6 kg / 56 oz|
|11-in / 27 cm||1.6 kg / 56 oz||1.8 kg / 63 oz|
|12-in / 30 cm||2 kg / 70 oz||2.2 kg / 77 oz|
|14-in / 35 cm||2.7 kg / 95 oz||2.9 kg / 102 oz|
|16-in / 40 cm||3.4 kg / 124 oz||3.6 kg / 126 oz|
Petal or Hexagon?
I usually use my square fondant measurements as a guide for these two. I hope it works for you too.
|Size - 2 inches Tall||Grams/ oz|
|7 x 11 inches||800 g / 30 oz|
|9 x 13 inches||1.2 kg / 40 z|
|11 x 15 inches||1.7 kg / 60 oz|
|12 x 18 inches||2.3 kg / 80 oz|
Oval and Heart Cakes - 4-inch tall cake
|Oval - Size||grams/oz||Heart Size||grams /oz|
|6-in||760 g / 26 oz||6-in||500 g / 18 oz|
|8- in||900 g / 31 oz||8-in||750 g / 26 oz|
|10 -in||1.2 kg / 42 oz||10-in||1.1 kg /38 oz|
|12-in||1.5 kg/52 oz||12-in||1.35 kg / 48 oz|
Homemade Fondant Recipes
By now you probably already have my fondant recipes but here they are again
- Best Homemade Fondant Recipe
- Homemade Chocolate Fondant Recipe
- and Homemade Vegetarian Fondant Recipe
- Homemade Marshmallow Fondant Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Marshmallow Fondant Recipe
- Homemade Black Fondant Recipe
- How to get Sharp Edges on Ganache Cakes
- How to get Sharp Edges on Buttercream Cakes
- 50 Plus Layer Cake Recipes
- 50 Plus Frosting and Buttercream Recipes
- 30 Plus Cake Decorating Recipes for Cake Decorators
You may also like
- Where to find inspiration for cakes,
- How to start a cake business from home
- How many cake orders can I take?
- Where to find inspiration for your cake?
- Time management of an effective cake decorator
- Cake Decorating as a Profession or Hobby?
- Timeline for decorating cakes - When should I start decorating my cakes
- Cake decorating tutorials
- 3 Tips for an aspiring cake decorator
- Cake Consultation - Tips and How-To