The BEST Vanilla Birthday Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
Make an elegant and beautiful vanilla birthday cake from scratch for your loved one with this simple and easy recipe. This is a simple and easy cake using light and airy vanilla sponge layers with a melt in your mouth buttercream frosting. Perfect to celebrate your next birthday or anniversary.
Do you need to birthday cake for your loved one? Or perhaps an anniversary cake for your spouse or friend. Here is a simple, easy and fool-proof recipe you will enjoy making. This cake makes a small 8-inch cake with two layers.
This recipe can be easily adjusted to make more servings. Just change the number of servings below and the recipe card will automatically calculate the recipe for you.
Pin this Recipe on Pinterest – You can find more tutorials and recipes to Pin here on this board.
Remember to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook. Join our Facebook group to see more tutorials, recipes, and chats.
Vanilla Birthday Cake Recipe
For the cake
- 250 grams Butter unsalted
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 250 grams All-purpose Flour
- 4 Eggs large
- 250 grams Sugar white
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 120 ml Milk
For the Buttercream
- 228 grams Butter Unsalted
- 500 grams Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 4 tbsp Fresh Cream
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 100 grams Sugar white
- 250 ml water
Conversions – Please switch between Metric & US for more measurement options
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven at 170C/340 F
- Grease and line two 8-inch cake pans
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder – set aside
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time
- Followed by the vanilla
- Lastly add the flour and milk in three batches – flour/milk, flour/milk, flour. This will give you a smooth batter.
- Divide mixture between the two baking pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 35 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center some clean
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert on a cooling rack for another 10 minutes
- Make sure to cool the cake completely before frosting.
Prepare simple syrup
- Boil the water and sugar until all sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved boil a minute longer then set aside to cool completely.
- Cream butter, vanilla, and fresh cream until light and fluffy
- Add the powder sugar in two batches until well combined
- Lastly, whip the buttercream for two more minutes so you have a light and fluffy buttercream.
Assemble the cake
- Once cooled – divide each cake layer into two horizontally.
- Brush each layer with the cooled sugar syrup
- Frost the cake layers over a cake pedestal or cake board.
- Add a dab of buttercream and place the first layer on the cake board.
- Place a dollop of buttercream and spread evenly. (alternatively, place the buttercream in a piping bag and pipe over the cake layer)
- Then, place the second layer of cake on top of the first frosting and add another dollop of buttercream – spread evenly.
- Layer and frost all four layers – place the cake in the fridge for 10 minutes. This will prevent the layers from moving around.
- Using a spatula frost the outside of the cake with more buttercream
- Use a bench scraper to smooth the top and sides well.
- Place any remaining buttercream in a piping bag with Frill or Swag piping nozzle.
- You can use edible gel food colors to color the buttercream as well
- Finish the cake based on your ability – pipe a border at the bottom, frill or swags on the sides and flowers for the top.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you