How to Make An Alphabet Cake – Recipe and Tutorials
The Alphabet cakes are the recent trend in cake decorating. Almost everybody wants a number or alphabets cake for their birthday. Why not? Look how pretty these are and not as difficult as other elaborate fondant decorated cakes. Now there are lots of tutorials online for these cake and boy did we spend a lot of time looking at what we should share here.
This new treand of fascinating cakes with alphabets and numbers has taken everyone’s attention. Rightfully so. Gone are the days when you would have to buy a cake pan in the shape of an alphabet or number just for that one cake. And who knew if you would use it again. Right?
Well, fear not, for now, you don’t have to buy a pan. You can make this cake in a regular rectangular pan or sheet pan. Then print the number or alphabet on a simple paper. Cut the shape out and use it as a template to trace and cut out the shape of the cake. Voila, you have a number-shaped cake.
These are usually light and airy cakes which work best with whipped cream. I’ve given you a cream cheese whipped cream recipe below but you can just omit the cream cheese and use only whipped cream.
For the decorations? well, light and airy vanilla cakes do well with fruits and berries. But they are no rules here. So, use whatever you like, fruits, berries, macarons, flowers.
Here are, the creme de la creme or best Alphabet Cake Tutorials for you
Cooking Foodie – No. 5 Cake
Adilicious – Alphabet A Cake
Gateau Chiffres – No. 25 Cake
Recette De Number – No 100 Cake
Vanille Tanz – Heart cake
For the Cake Batter
- 250 grams (2 cups) All-purpose Flour
- 200 grams (1 cups) Sugar granulated
- 1 1/2 tsp (1.5 tsp) Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp ) Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp ) Salt
- 170 grams (0.75 cups) Butter unsalted
- 3 (3 ) Eggs large
- 120 ml (0.5 cups) Buttermilk
- 1 tsp (1 tsp ) Vanilla Extract
Whipped Cream Frosting OR
- 500 grams whipping cream
- 4 tbsp Powdered sugar
Cream Cheese Whipped Frosting
- 225 grams (7.94 oz) Cream cheese room temperature
- 500 ml (2.1 cups) Whipping Cream
- 125 grams (1.04 cups) Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp (2 tsp ) Vanilla extract
- 100 grams (0.5 cups) Sugar
- 250 ml (1 cups) water
Decorations of your choice
- Preheat oven at 170C / 340 F
- Combine and sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
Prepare Cake Batter
- Use a stand mixer or bowl and whisk – cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time
- Followed by the vanilla
- Finally, add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternating in three additions
- Either – pour batter in a 7 x 10 rectangular baking pan (which can be cut in three layers later)
- Divide batter equally between three sheet pans for a three-layer alphabet cake
- Bake the single cake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes cleanORBake one sheet pan at a time on the center rack for 15 to 18 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes clean.
- Cool on a wire rack
Prepare sugar syrup
- Boil the sugar and water for three minutes more after sugar dissolved
- Set aside to cool completely
Whipped Cream Frosting Or
- Whip the cream with powdered sugar in an electric mixer until stiff peaks.
Prepare cream cheese whipped cream
- In a stand mixer bowl whisk the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy
- Pour the chilled whipping cream and whip until stiff peaks
- Add vanilla
- Prepare the cream cheese whipped cream into a piping bag with the piping tip of your choice -Set aside
Cut the alphabet or numbers
- Use a template of the number you need
- For a single cake – either cut into three layers first or cut the alphabet shape first then layer that into three layers
- Place the template on the cake – use a small paring knife.
- Carefully cut the shapes out
- Place each cake alphabet on a cake board
- Moisten with sugar syrup
- Pipe the frosting all over with the piping bag
- Place the second layer on top
- Do the same with the next layer.
- The cake can now be decorated with any toppings from fresh fruits and berries to macarons and candy.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Sometimes a similar recipe video may be used. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
Other recipes you may need for your Alphabet Cakes
- Alphabet cakes are usually filled with a cream-based frosting made with Vanilla Pastry Cream (eggless pastry cream) and Whipping Cream. Or
- You can also use Classic Vanilla Buttercream Recipes. The buttercream base can be American, Swiss, Italian, French or German buttercream.
- Alternatively, you can use other flavored buttercreams too – here are more than 30 buttercream flavors for you to try.
- If you choose to use a cookie base for your alphabet cake instead of cake-base – perhaps you want a good Vanilla Cookie Recipe or Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Alphabet Cakes – Inspiration Board
You may also like
- Cake Decorating Tutorials 101 – Tutorials for Beginners
- 5 Buttercream Wedding Cake Tutorials
- Edible Sugar Lace Recipe and Tutorial
- 12 Tip to Make A Naked Wedding Cake
- 20 Tips to Making your own Wedding Cake
- Vanilla Birthday Cake Recipe or Vanilla Birthday Cake Recipe 2
- Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe
- Minion Cake Tutorials
- Frozen Theme Cake Tutorials
- Valentine’s Day Cake Tutorials
- Tree Stump Cake Tutorials
- Edible Cake Lace Recipe and tutorials
- Geode Cake Tutorial
- Stained Glass Cake Tutorial
- Geometric Cake Tutorials