Make-A-Head Christmas Fruitcake Recipe
A traditional brandy-soaked rich fruit cake is as boozy as it can get. The secret to making this boozy cake is making it ahead of time so the flavors mature and the alcohol has macerated with the fruit. Which is why I call it a boozy Christmas cake or make-a-head Christmas cake.
Have you ever tasted a boozy fruitcake? If you have then you will know that though it has so much alcohol in it, it’s not really like drinking alcohol. You are almost lost in the fruit flavors until the alcohol gets to your head. Oh, that happens, don’t ask me how I know that.
A few years ago, I made this boozy fruit cake for a few friends who usually don’t drink alcohol. They loved it very much and have been making my boozy fruitcake since. Today, I want to share the recipe with you as well.
Don’t like alcohol?
Don’t worry, try my other Rich Fruit Cake Recipes – Rich fruit cake recipe uses orange juice, dark fruitcake recipe, Candied fruit fruitcake recipe (coming soon), Ultimate Chrismas pudding and traditional Christmas pudding, Eggless fruitcake recipe
The real secret to making a good boozy fruitcake is in the preparation and what I mean by that is making it ahead of time. So the alcohol has time to mature and the flavors go mild. The fruit in the cake gets infused with alcohol at the same time the alcohol gets fruiter.
Adding more alcohol over the next few weeks is optional but highly recommended. Storing the cake correctly is very very important with make-ahead fruitcakes. Always wrap well in a greaseproof paper twice and then in aluminum. The aluminum works to give the cake a dark cool atmosphere. Any outside influence can cause the cake to mold rendering all your hard work useless.
So store it correctly wrapped in a tin and you will have a wonderful boozy Christmas cake. Don’t forget to come later and let me know how it was. OK?
- A 7-inch loose bottom cake pan or 8-inch round cake pan
- Parchment Paper
- Greaseproof Paper
- Stand mixer or Hand Mixer
- Chopping board and Kitchen Knife
Boozy Fruitcake Recipe – Make-A-Head Christmas Cake
Boozy Fruitcake Recipe – Make-A-head Christmas Fruitcake Recipe
- 500 grams Golden Raisins
- 500 grams Black Currants
- 200 grams Dried Sultanas
- 200 grams Dried Apricots chopped
- 100 grams Candied Peel chopped
- 200 grams Glace Cherries undyed
- 200 grams Dried Cranberries
- 300 ml Brandy for soaking
- 100 ml Cherry Brandy for feeding
- 225 grams Dark Brown Sugar
- 228 grams Unsalted Butter
- 5 Eggs large
- 290 grams All-Purpose flour sifted
- 1 tbsp Black Treacle
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg fresh grated
- 150 grams Mixed Nuts (almonds, macadamia, pecans)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Conversions – Please switch between Metric & US for more measurement options
- Add all the fruit in a large glass bowl and combine with the brandy. Cover and leave overnight. (do not use metal bowls for soaking)
- Preheat the oven at 150C / 300 F
- Line a 7-inch square deep loose bottom pan with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time
- Followed by the treacle, vanilla, orange and lemon zest.
- Add the flour and combine well.
- Next, add the soaked fruits with all the juices and alcohol – stir well to combine
- Lastly, add the mixed chopped nuts – combine well
- Pour into the prepared baking pan
- Wrap the outside of the pan with a damp tea two.
(Dip a tea towel in water and squeeze out the water so it’s damp but not wet. Then wrap it around the cake. If necessary use a pin to secure it in place)
- Bake for approximately 4 hours or until a skewer inserted in the center comes clean.
If the top starts browning too quickly tent loosely with a foil
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before you invert on to a cooling rack.
- When cooled turn upside down – use a skewer and make some holes in the base.
- Carefully spoon the cherry liquor over letting it soak as you spoon the alcohol.
- Place it back upside on a place so it will continue to soak any leftover on the plate.
- Double wrap in greaseproof papers well.
- Followed by aluminum foil making sure the foil does not come in contact with the cake.
- Store in a tin in a cool dry place.
- Feed once a week with more brandy or cherry brandy up to Christmas. Making sure to wrap it well and store again.
About Videos – most recipes has two videos – a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
You may also like
- Christmas recipes here on this page.
- Fruitcake 101 – Baking Tips, Storage,
- Rich Fruit Cake
- Dark Fruit Cake,
- Eggnog Yule Log Cake,
- Chocolate Yule Log Cake,
- Traditional Christmas Pudding,
- Moist Cranberry Almond Cake
- Cranberry Almond Semolina Cake
- Eggless Fruitcake
- Pistachio Cherry Bundt Cake
- Halva Fruitcake Bars
- Glace Mixed Fruit Bundt Cake – Tutti Frutti Cake