Moist Cranberry Almond Cake Recipe
Cranberries and almonds are always a classic combination. This deliciously moist cranberry almond cake uses fresh and dried cranberries. Baked with a moist yet soft crumb from the sour cream, a tart zing from the cranberries with a crisp bite from the almonds this cake is filled with wonderful texture as well as flavors.
Have you tried a cake with fresh or frozen cranberries? I usually use frozen because that’s what is easily available to me and I get it throughout the year. The dried cranberries, however, add that sweet-tart jam-like texture when cooked in a wet batter. Personally, I think it’s an amazing explosion of flavors from the same fruit in different forms. Cranberry and almond usually always make a great pair together but you can also use cashews or hazelnuts in this recipe.
Over at the Veena Azmanov blog, I shared another amazing cranberry almond semolina cake. The semolina is another great way to add more texture to your cake. While both these recipes, cranberry almond, and cranberry almond semolina cakes have similar ingredients their texture and end result is very different. The cranberry almond with semolina has a more crumbly texture while this is more smooth and cake like. Honestly, if I had to choose I would be able to pick one.
Useful Tips and Tools
- This is a basic recipe with basic tool requirements. Ideally, a simple mixing bowl, whisk, and spatula would be just enough.
- Having said that using a stand mixeror hand mixer just makes for a more thorough mixing process.
- The recipe calls for a10-inch bundt pan but this can be baked in a 9-inch loaf pan or 7-inch square cake pan or 8-inch round cake pan
- Having a baking tray under the baking pan is always a great way to prevent any unnecessary spills and such.
- If you like baking flat cakes, using cake stripsaround the cake work great to keep the sides cooler while the heat makes it way to the center. Personally, I don’t use cake strips for coffee cakes.
Save this recipe on Pinterest – Follow Me on Pinterest
Pin this recipe on Pinterest You can find more tutorials and recipes to Pin here on this board. Remember to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook.
Join our Facebook group to see more tutorials, recipes, and chats.
Moist Cranberry Almond Cake Recipe
- 228 grams Butter unsalted
- 300 grams Sugar (white)
- 5 Eggs large
- 320 grams All-Purpose Flour
- 100 grams Almond Meal (ground almonds)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Cranberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 cup Cranberries Dried
- 1 cup flaked Almonds
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
- Preheat the oven at 170 C / 340 F
- Grease and line a 10-inch bundt pan
- Combine together the fresh/frozen cranberries, dried cranberries and flaked almonds (save some cranberries aside to sprinkle over the cake before baking) – set aside
- Combine together – flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt – set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time
- Add 2 tbsp of flour (from the recipe) to the fruit and nut mixture – set aside
- Then add the flour and sour cream in three additions to the egg batter.
- Add the vanilla and almond extract
- Lastly, add the cranberry and almond mixture.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 to 60 minutes
- 10-inch bundt pan – bake for 50 to 60 minutes (approx)
- 9 x 3 1/2 inch loaf pan – bake for 60 to 70 minutes (approx)
- One – 8 inch round cake pans – bake for 50 to 60 minutes (approx)
- One 7-inch square pan – bake for 60 to 70 minutes (approx)