Moist Banana Walnut Cake Recipe
This recipe is an absolute classic for banana walnut cake. Moist, light and airy with a tender crumb. Rich with the flavor of banana and walnuts. Perfect on its own as a coffee cake but absolutely divine when frosted with a luxury cream cheese frosting.
A Banana cake is best when the bananas are overripe. So next time, you have overripe bananas on hand? think banana cake and what better than a banana walnut cake recipe. My favorite as a kid was Banana date and walnut cake but over the years I have made it with and without any fruit. Both are equally good.
Walnuts, Dates, Cranberries
Walnuts and banana are a classic combination but pecan would work just as well. The recipe is fairly simple and easy. Below I use a stand mixer in the recipe. The key to getting this cake light and fluffy is in mixing the ingredients.
Date, cranberries and walnuts are another classic winning combination that never fails to impress. I've made it many times for tastings during cake consultations. Dates do add more sweetness while cranberries add a bit of sourness that helps cut into the sweetness of the bananas. Both are equally delicious in their own way.
As a host, I have served this cake without any frosting with a cup of tea or coffee but as a cake decorator, I have used cream cheese frosting or Swiss Meringue Buttercream often. Cream cheese is a classic combination with a Banana cake which is why I have given you the recipe below.
If you plan to serve this as a coffee cake - bake it in a rectangular pan or loaf pan. But, if you want to use it as a frosted cake, the original recipe works best in a 7-inch square cake or 8-inch round.
Make a Caramel Banana Drip Cake
If you have never tried a Banana cake with caramel? You are in for a surprise. Never again will a banana cake be the same again. Caramel and banana work similar to apple and caramel. Perfect together. The slightly bitter aftertaste of caramel adds a different depth of flavor with Banana.
- [easyazon_link identifier="B00063ULMI" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Stand Mixer[/easyazon_link] or [easyazon_link identifier="B003922L12" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Hand Mixer[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B072WKYZS6" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]8-inch Round Cake Pan[/easyazon_link] or[easyazon_link identifier="B000F741W6" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]7-inch Square Cake Pan[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B0728GC529" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]7 x 10 rectangular pan[/easyazon_link] or [easyazon_link identifier="B0026RHI5K" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]8 x 4 loaf pan[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B000CC1ECE" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Mixing Bowl[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B00004OCNS" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Whisk[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B078JQ4K5Y" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Baking Tray[/easyazon_link]
Recipe - Moist Banana Walnut Cake Recipe
- 4 large Bananas (preferably overripe)
- 228 grams (1 cups) Butter (unsalted)
- 120 ml (0.54 cups) Cooking Oil
- 300 grams (1.36 cups) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 60 ml (0.26 cups) Sour Cream
- 320 grams (2.56 cups) All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp (1 tsp ) Baking Soda
- ½ tsp (0.5 tsp ) Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) Walnuts (chopped)
- 100 grams (3.53 oz) dates, raisins or cranberries (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)
- 228 grams (8.04 oz) Cream Cheese
- 114 grams (0.5 cups) Butter (unsalted)
- 312 grams (2.6 cups) Powdered Sugar
- ¼ tsp (0.25 tsp) Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cream (if needed for consistency)
- Preheat oven to 170C/ 340 F
- Grease and line with parchment paper - an 8 x 8 round cake pan or 7 x 7 square cake pan or 7 x 10 rectangular cake pan or 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Mash bananas well with a fork until almost smooth
- Combine mashed bananas with sour cream. Use a whisk to stir and remove any lumps
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt - set aside.
- In a stand mixer - cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil - mix well.
- Next, add the eggs one at a time.
- Followed by the vanilla extract
- Lastly, add the flour and the banana/sour cream mixture.
- Add the walnuts (and fruit - if using) - mix well to combine but do not overmix
- Bake in a preheated oven until skewer inserted comes clean. 8-inch round - should take about 30 to 40 minutes
10 x 7-inch rectangular pan - should take about 25 to 35 minutes
Loaf pan - should take about - 55 to 60 minutes
- Cool in the pan 10 minutes then invert on a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)
- Cream butter, cream cheese and whipping cream until light and fluffy
- Add vanilla - combine well.
- Add powdered sugar, salt and continue to whip until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Frost over cake as desired.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Sometimes a similar recipe video may be used. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you