Best Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake - Recipe
Swiss roll cakes are the best tea time treats when you need something light yet indulgent. This vanilla Swiss roll cake is a light and airy sponge cake with a generous spread of jam and whipped cream. The ulmate dessert that takes about 40 minutes to prepare. Use this no-fail recipe as the basis to create more flavors and variations.
A Swiss roll cake is one cake that you can eat any time of the day. There are no rules. I can eat a Swiss roll cake for breakfast, afternoon tea, when I need a light snack or a light dessert. Ever need to make a dessert and can't decide what? You can never go wrong with a Swiss roll for dessert. Works for me every single time.
I have one problem with this cake though. It so wonderfully light and airy that its almost gets over instantly leaving you wanting more. Today I have used Strawberry jam but any jam works just as well. I love raspberry as well as apricot jam in a good vanilla Swiss roll cake.
About this Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake
This is the basic but the best Swill roll cake you can make. Simple, easy and effortless recipe. The best part is you can make it from start to finish. Prepare the cake batter and put in the oven to bake. While you prep and cool the simple syrup. The cake takes no more than 12 to 15 minutes to bake. 12 minutes in my oven is all it needs. Roll the cake into a jelly roll and set it aside to cool for 10 minutes while you whip the cream. Brush the simple syrup, spread the jam, whipped cream and roll it back on.
Ideally, you want to chill it for some time as this cuts beautiful pretty slices. Honestly, it never happens in my home. Not when I was a kid and neither with my kids. Usually, it's cut up as soon as it's ready and the next thing you know; it's all GONE. This recipe makes about 8 slices and we are only 4 in our home. So two slices of this heaven usually leave us wanting more.
The tools for this cake are simple and everyday items you have at home. Whipping the egg whites to stiff peaks is critical to making a Swiss roll so use an electric mixer if you have or be ready to whip longer. Ask extra help if you need, get the kids to whip it too.
- [easyazon_link identifier="B00005UP2P" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Stand mixer[/easyazon_link]or [easyazon_link identifier="B009VUHLHA" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]hand mixer[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B015CQZK4C" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]15 x 10 sheet pan[/easyazon_link] or [easyazon_link identifier="B00INRW7GC" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Swiss roll pan[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B000WG14FC" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Offset spatula[/easyazon_link] - works great to spread the batter
- [easyazon_link identifier="B074C9N6TQ" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Parchment paper[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B00LGLHUA0" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Mixing bowls[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B01DLHA9OA" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Spatula[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B00NN14VBM" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Oven[/easyazon_link]
Save this recipe on Pinterest - Follow Me on Pinterest
Pin this tutorial on Pinterest You can find more tutorials and recipes to Pin here on this board. Remember to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook. Join our Facebook group to see more tutorials, recipes, and chats.
- 4 large Eggs
- 100 grams (0.5 cups) Sugar castor
- 60 grams (0.48 cups) All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (2 tablespoon) Unsalted Butter melted
- 2 tbsp (2 tablespoon) Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) Cream of Tartar optional
- ½ tsp (0.5 teaspoon) Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) Salt
Filling and Frosting
- 250 ml (1.05 cups) Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp (1 tablespoon) Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 6 tablespoon Jam Strawberry
- 60 ml (4.06 tablespoon) Sugar Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / 340 F
- Grease and line with parchment paper a 15 x 10 sheet pan. Make sure the parchments covered the sides of the pan as well.
- Combine flour with salt, baking powder - set aside.
- Separate the eggs - white in a clean grease free bowl and yolks in a separate bowl
- Whip the egg whites with half the sugar, salt, and cream of tartar - set aside
- Whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar for two minutes.
- Add the vanilla, cream, and sift in the flour mixture
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Pour into the prepared baking tray
- Bake for about 12 to 14 minutes until the top is springy and set.
- Remove it out from the oven and instantly transfer to a cooling rack
(I simply drag the parchment from the sheet pan to the cooling rack)
- Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar
(this will prevent the cake from sticking to the parchment paper.
- Use another pan and parchment paper to flip the cake over.
- Now, carefully peel the top parchment paper - the one that cake was baked in.
- Place a slightly damp kitchen towel or cheesecloth on the top of the cake. Roll the cake into a jelly roll. This prevents it from sticking when you unroll later.
- I roll from the long side. But you can roll from the short side for more spirals.
- Let cool in this rolled position until cooled completely (not in the fridge)
- Whip the cream with powdered sugar until still peaks.
- When cooled unroll the cake. Place it on a firm worktop or sheet pan.
- Trim both the edges at an angle so they are tapering (this helps the finished cake rest on itself properly (optional)
- Brush the cake with simple syrup.
- Spread a thin layer of jam
- Followed by the whipped cream
- If desired you can add finely chopped fruits as well.
- Firmly roll the cake back into a jelly roll.
- Place in the fridge for at least two hours wrapped. This will ensure you have nice firm pretty slices.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Sometimes a similar recipe video may be used. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
- Vanilla Sponge Cake
- Coffee Cake
- Dark Fruit Cake
- Buttercream Birthday Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake
Tools I used.
[easyazon_infoblock align="none" identifier="B009VUHLHA" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"][easyazon_infoblock align="none" identifier="B015CQZK4C" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"][easyazon_infoblock align="none" identifier="B013UBGL76" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]