How to make a Geode Cake
The geode cakes are very much in trend these days and rightfully so. Look how gorgeous these are. Here are some of the best geode cake tutorial that you will find useful. Some basic and some more advanced as well as some made with rock candy and others with isomalt.
Geodes are hollow rocks filled with sparkling crystals and minerals. Most geodes contain clear quartz crystals, while some have purple amethyst crystals. Each geode is unique and may vary widely in colors or crystal formation.
Which is why it's so attractive to the artist and most recently cake artist. These geode cakes are now in trend and come in all shapes and sizes whether it's a one tier cake or a multi-tiered cake.
How to make a geode cake?
- Bake and cover the cake with fondant (detailed in Cake Decorating for beginners)
- Make sure the cake is chilled when you carve it.
- Cut out geode shape out of the cake. Start small and carve out more as needed making sure to not ruin or stain the fondant (especially if you use ganache)
- Buttercream the cut surface of the geode making it smooth as possible
- Brush the buttercream with a thin layer of piping gel to help stick.
- Press rock candy into the piping gel.
- Once the whole cavity has been lined with rock candy you can color it.
- Use edible gel food colors and vodka to dilute.
- Start painting the rock candy - starting from the darkest shade to the lightest shade.
- The most common colors used for a geode cake are Purple, turquoise, sky blue. lime green.
- Once the rock candy has been painted let dry.
- Add a metallic color to the edges of the geode shape by painting the rock candy on the edges with edible metallic gold
- That's it!
Geode Cake Tutorials -Free
One of the best tutorials on how to make a geode cake is by Rachael Teufel herself who is the creator of the Geode Cakes. She has an amazing tutorial on
Geode Cake Tutorials using rock candy
Geode Cake using isomalt
Geode Cake Tutorial using molds (no-carving)
Naturally Elegant Cake Designs - $40.00
Keep your clients happy with trendy, nature-inspired cakes.
I'd love to hear your thoughts, please comment.