Traditional Christmas Pudding Recipe
A traditional Christmas pudding is rare these days. The perfect day to make Christmas pudding is supposedly the first day of advent. You make it and leave it be until Christmas just like a traditional Christmas cake. A perfect moist delicious pudding with lots of fruits, nuts, and brandy makes a perfect treat on a cold winter Christmas evening.
While a lot of the ingredients are quite similar between the Christmas cake and pudding the main ingredient of difference, as far as I know, is the fat. Traditionally, pudding is made with suet and Christmas cake is made with butter. I remember my mom would order beef fat in bulk during this time of the year. She would always have a few of these on order and ready for Christmas.
If you can't find suet which is essentially beef fat, you can also use high-fat ratio vegetable shortening. Butter would work but with added butter flavor.
A Christmas pudding is steamed not baked so you will need to use a steamer. If you don't have a steamer you can create one by using a larger pan with water and place the pudding basin in there. The water should not reach more than ⅔ way up the basin. Cover with a lid so the steam stays in there pan and cooks the pudding gently.
- [easyazon_link identifier="B002IVU11M" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Christmas Pudding Basin[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B00LGLHUA0" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Mixing Bowls[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B000JPVCYE" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Spatula[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B072V18F5L" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Cheesecloth[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier="B01BOVFHB0" locale="US" tag="vesarofca-20"]Steamer[/easyazon_link]
Save this recipe on Pinterest
Pin this recipe on Pinterest You can find more tutorials and recipes to Pin here on this board. Remember to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook. Join our Facebook group to see more tutorials, recipes, and chats.
How to Make A Traditional Christmas Pudding
- 150 grams (1.2 cups) All-purpose flour
- 150 grams (1.39 cups) Fresh white breadcrumbs
- 250 grams (1.06 cups) grated Suet Beef or vegetarian
- 250 grams (1.14 cups) Light Brown Sugar
- 250 grams (1.72 cups) Raisins
- 250 grams (1.74 cups) Currants
- 250 grams (1.72 cups) Sultanas
- 100 grams (0.67 cups) Mixed peel
- 1 cup Apples finely chopped
- 1 tsp mixed spices
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 100 grams (0.7 cups) flaked almonds
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 170 ml (0.71 cups) Brandy
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Black treacle
- Combine together - Breadcrumbs, flour, salt, mixed spices, cinnamon, nutmeg - combine well
- Add the grated suet and combine well.
- Then add the dried fruits and finely chopped apples - set aside
- Add the lemon and orange zest as well. - Make sure everything is well combined.
- Beat the wet ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine wet to dry ingredients. Combine well using a folding motion so the breadcrumbs do not get too soggy on one side.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave to rest overnight.
- Butter a pudding basin well on all sides and line with greaseproof paper.
- Pour the pudding mixture
- Cover with a cheesecloth or muslin cloth and tie with a string.
Alternatively, cover with cheesecloth and then wrap with aluminum foil
- Steam for 6 hours in a steamer. (see notes)
- When done remove and allow to cool for an hour before you open
- When cooled open and let cool completely. Then cover again and leave in a cool dry place.
- On Christmas day or day of serving steam the pudding for an additional hour or two
- Turn the pudding onto a plate and pour the brandy over allowing it to soak. Save some brandy to torch.
- Pour the final brandy over and light it with a match just before servings.
About Videos - most recipes has two videos - a quick version in the post & longer detailed version on this recipe card. Sometimes a similar recipe video may be used. Please do subscribe to my channel if you like my videos
The nutrition information and metric conversion are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. Thank you
More Christmas Recipes
- Christmas recipes here on this page.
- Fruitcake 101 - Baking Tips, Storage,
- Dark Fruit Cake,
- Rich Fruit Cake
- Boozy Fruitcake,
- Eggnog Yule Log Cake,
- Chocolate Yule Log Cake,
- Moist Cranberry Almond Cake
- Cranberry Almond Semolina Cake
- Eggless Fruitcake
- Pistachio Cherry Bundt Cake
- Halva Fruitcake Bars
- Glace Mixed Fruit Bundt Cake - Tutti Frutti Cake